2015 SPRING FEATURE AUCTION
2015 Spring Feature Auction
Fine Art, & Antiques
OVER 1100 LOTS TO BE SOLD IN TWO SESSIONS
SATURDAY, MAY 30, 2015 – 11:00 AM
SUNDAY, MAY 31, 2015 – 11:00 AM
Preview 9 AM – 5 PM Monday, May 25th thru Friday, May 29th
and 9-11 AM on Auction Days
- Artwork by Millard Owen Sheets, Jack Lorimer Gray, Emile Gruppe, Salvador Dali, and many others
- Circa 1880 Cigar Store Indian
- 23 Miniature Decoys by A. E. Crowell
- Circa 1910 Strand of Natural Pearls
- 6.59 carat Diamond Ring
- 2004 Mini Cooper with 5,000 orig. miles.
- Over 100 lots of Estate Jewelry & Fine Watches
- Historically Important Ephemera, incl. John Hancock & Samuel Adams Autographs
- Over 200 Lots of Fine American and European Furniture
- German WWI Blue Max Medal
- Rare 39 Star American Flag
- Vintage Handbags by Hermes, Chanel & Cartier
- Over 60 Lots of Nautical items including 30 Important Ship Models
- Important ca 1900 Chinese Robe & Clothing Collection
- 12th c. French Romanesque Carved Stone Fragment
- 1934 Old Town Dinghy plus 4 canoes and a Yacht Tender.
- 2 Vintage Model ES670 & ES671 Eames Chairs & Ottomans
- Herbert Ferber Sculpture
- Fully Restored 1945 Coca Cola Vending Machine
- Collection of Fine Wicker Furniture
Warmer weather has finally returned to Maine, and our gallery is in full bloom with an amazing array of fine items to be presented in our May auction
On Saturday, artwork by Adrien Jansz Van Ostade, Jack Lorimer Gray, Andrew Fisher Bunner, W.P. Stubbs, Louis Simon Lassalle, Francois Lemoyne, and Frank Benson will be presented, along with Old Master paintings, a Rembrandt etching, early sculptures, and antiquities. Folk art will be featured, led by an important set of miniature duck decoys by A.E. Crowell and a circa 1880 wooden cigar store Indian. There will be many nautical items, including 21 ship models and an antique diving suit. A selection of early firearms, plus rare collectible items, such as a 39-star American flag and a WWI Prussian “Blue Max” medal, will be presented. Furniture will include a Revolutionary War period inlaid walnut dowry chest, William & Mary walnut dressing table, and a 19th Century Canadian diamond point painted cupboard. A group of Chinese robes that have been packed away since 1935 will be a feature of the Asian antiques group. Rare documents, Native American artifacts, carpets, and early decorative items will round out the day.
The Sunday sale will present fine paintings by Millard Owen Sheets, George Elmer Browne, Emile Gruppe, Theodore Wendel, and Vu Cao Dam; plus sculpture by Herbert Ferber, Sergio Capellini, and Hank Tyler; plus printed works by Salvador Dali, Robert Indiana, and John Audubon. Sunday will offer accent pieces such as two Egyptian Revival style columns, a 1947 Coca Cola vending machine, and a pair of 19th Century wrought iron entry gates. An outstanding group of vehicles will be sold, including a restored 1953 Chevy pick-up truck, 2 vintage Vespa Scooters, and Maine-made canoes and boats. The estate jewelry and watch collection will include a ladies ring set with a 6.23 carat diamond, a circa 1910 natural graduated pearl necklace, and 15 fine watches. Featured furniture will be 2 Eames chair and ottoman sets, antebellum southern furnishings, a rocking chair by California designer Robert Erickson, plus outdoor and wicker pieces. 3 vintage Hermes handbags, plus makers Tiffany, Royal Copenhagen, and KPM will feature in the glass and pottery selection, and there will be silver by Georg Jensen, the Kalo Shop, and others.
Comfortable seating and delicious catering await you in our auction hall. Please call ahead (1-207-354-8141) to ensure a reserved seat. If you are unable to attend, it would be our pleasure to take your bid by phone, absentee or internet. Visit our website at www.thomastonauction.com for a complete virtual catalog. Buyer’s Premium is 15% (18% for online bidders). Please call our courteous and knowledgeable staff if you have any questions.
Kaja & the Auction Staff
PS: If you will be visiting from away, Thomaston’s Hampton Inn is offering a special ‘auction goer’ room rate. Please call the hotel (207-594-6644) and request the ‘Thomaston Place Auction Galleries Rate’.